The Department of Ophthalmology was formerly a part of the Department of Eye Ear Nose and Throat (EENT) when the hospital was first established in 1945. Leading pillars of Ophthalmology have been connected with the hospital during their lifetime – Dr. Jesus Tamesis Sr., Dr. Jose Chan, Dr. Ronaldo Tablante, and Dr. Jose Marin. In 1987, the Department separated from the Ear Nose and Throat Department and formally became the Department of Ophthalmology.

Since its establishment, JRRMMC Ophthalmology has demonstrated its strong commitment to its mission of providing affordable and excellent eye care to the Filipino people.